Kevin Spacey pleads not guilty to sexual assault charges

London, UK - Oscar-winning actor Kevin Spacey has formally entered not guilty pleas to sexual assault charges dating back 17 years.

Kevin Spacey leaves the Central Criminal Court in London after attending a hearing over charges related to allegations of sex offenses.
Kevin Spacey leaves the Central Criminal Court in London after attending a hearing over charges related to allegations of sex offenses.  © REUTERS

The 62-year-old Hollywood star stood in the dock of Court One at the Old Bailey in London to deny five allegations relating to three men, who are now in their 30s and 40s.

Spacey was listed under his full name of Kevin Spacey Fowler and appeared in person, having been granted unconditional bail.

He spoke to confirm his name and date of birth before denying four charges of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent.

Leonardo DiCaprio faces heat after sparking dating rumors with teenage model
Celebrities Leonardo DiCaprio faces heat after sparking dating rumors with teenage model

The alleged offenses are said to have taken place in London and Gloucestershire, UK, between 2005 and 2013. At the time, Spacey was artistic director of The Old Vic theatre in London.

Justice Wall set a trial of three to four weeks from June 6 next year. The senior judge said the case would be transferred to the Old Bailey unless the date could be accommodated at Southwark Crown Court.

A further hearing will take place earlier in 2023.

The judge granted Spacey continued unconditional bail. Spacey thanked the judge at the conclusion of the 15-minute hearing.

Kevin Spacey denies all wrongdoing

Reporters surround Spacey as he enters the Central Criminal Court.
Reporters surround Spacey as he enters the Central Criminal Court.  © REUTERS

The House of Cards star has an address in Waterloo, south London, and in the US, where he has family and a 9-year-old dog.

Last month, at an initial court hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, Spacey’s lawyer, Patrick Gibbs QC, said his client "strenuously denies any and all criminality in this case."

Gibbs said Spacey returned to the UK "to establish his innocence" and "proceed with his life."

The Bachelor: Zach Shallcross flips the script and sends a front-runner home in episode three
The Bachelor The Bachelor: Zach Shallcross flips the script and sends a front-runner home in episode three

The charges include two counts of sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 40s, in March 2005 in London; sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 30s, and causing him to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent, in August 2008 in London; and sexual assault on a man, who is now in his 30s, in April 2013 in Gloucestershire.

The Crown Prosecution Service authorized the charges against Spacey in May, but he could only be formally charged after traveling to the UK last month.

Spacey, a two-time Academy Award winner, is known for starring in American Beauty and The Usual Suspects.

He was artistic director at The Old Vic between 2004 and 2015.

Cover photo: REUTERS

More on Celebrities: