Lindsay Clancy trial nears its end as ex-husband Patrick's legal reps slam conspiracy theories
Plymouth, Massachusetts - The defense has rested its case in the murder trial of Lindsay Clancy, as her team hopes to convince the jury that she is not criminally liable, citing postpartum psychosis. Despite Clancy admitting she killed her and Patrick Clancy's three young children, conspiracy theories continue to dominate social media, and Patrick's lawyer isn't letting it slide.
While Lindsay is charged with strangling and killing her three young children, the prosecution's case has never been about whether she did it or not. Despite the defense and the prosecution agreeing on key facts before trial, the public continues to speculate over "whodunnit," with many TikTokers pointing fingers at Patrick.
One TikTok user said those coming for her can "go straight to hell" because "Patrick Clancy is cooked." The social media user then explained why she believes Patrick is guilty.
However, Lindsay's lead defense attorney, Kevin Reddington, previously confirmed that Lindsay agreed to stipulate to a set of underlying facts, meaning prosecutors did not have to call witnesses to prove such facts. CNN correspondent Jean Casarez reported on August 4 that "the defense is conceding that she killed her children and the defense is that she lacked the criminality. She did not comprehend what she was doing at the time. And so, there should be no legal responsibility."
But such reports haven't stopped members of the public from casting doubt and brewing conspiracy theories based on what they see on TV and online, prompting attorneys representing Patrick to denounce the accusations and warn of the immense, long-term consequences they can have.
In a statement provided to CNN, the attorneys said, "The facts are indisputable: Patrick Clancy has suffered an unspeakable and unimaginable loss. Unfortunately, the tragedy Patrick has experienced has been compounded by patently false, defamatory, and injurious public statements."
Patrick Clancy's legal team slams online sleuths for "defamatory" comments
The statement continued, "The individuals making those statements – from minor influencers to major celebrities – should be on notice that their despicable actions and false, defamatory statements have caused real-life consequences to the health and safety of Patrick and his family."
Lindsay Clancy's murder trial started with opening statements on July 27. The defense wrapped its arguments on August 21, four days after the prosecution rested its case on August 17. The prosecution's rebuttal should continue on August 24, and closing arguments could start on August 25.
The prosecution has come under fire from the public and legal experts on several occasions since the trial began, with one prosecutor’s penchant for wearing bows particularly rubbing people the wrong way.
Cover photo: Josh Reynolds/Pool via REUTERS



