Kevin Spacey appears in British court to face sexual assault charges
London, UK - Disgraced star Kevin Spacey told a London court he "strenuously denies" allegations that he sexually assaulted three men, as legal proceedings against the actor began in Britain on Thursday.
The 62-year-old was not asked to enter pleas when he appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court.
Deputy District Judge Tan Ikram granted Spacey unconditional bail ahead of his next appearance at Southwark Crown Court, set for July 14.
Defence lawyer Patrick Gibbs said: "Mr Spacey strenuously denies any and all criminality in this case."
Spacey was mobbed by photographers as he arrived at court wearing a blue suit with teal suede brogues and a dark patterned tie.
He was ushered into the building surrounded by members of his legal team and two police officers after getting out of a silver Mercedes. He said nothing, but smiled as he was rushed past a queue of other court attendees and through the entrance before passing security.
Spacey voluntarily shows up to face charges
The sexual assault charges relate to three men, now in their 30s and 40s, and date from between 2005 and 2013, while Spacey was artistic director of The Old Vic theater in London.
The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) authorized charges against Spacey last month, but the former House of Cards star could only be formally charged once he had travelled to Britain earlier this week.
Judge Ikram withdrew an arrest warrant issued weeks ago after the court heard that Spacey arrived in London on Monday.
Spacey, a two-time Oscar winner who is also known for lead roles in American Beauty and The Usual Suspects, had previously said he would travel to Britain to face the charges. He was first accused by actor Anthony Rapp in 2017 of making sexual advances toward him at a party in 1986, when Rapp was a teen. Others in Hollywood also came forward with similar stories, including filmmaker Tony Montana, actor Roberto Cavazos, and Richard Dreyfuss' son Harry.
In a statement released to Good Morning America after the CPS announcement, he said: "While I am disappointed with their decision to move forward, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as can be arranged and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence."
Cover photo: REUTERS