Iran warns that US bases, assets are "legitimate targets" as Trump threatens "limited strikes"

Washington DC - Iran on Thursday warned that US bases, facilities, and assets would be "legitimate targets" if the US follows through on its military threats and attacks.

This combination of pictures created on Friday shows US President Donald Trump (L) and a handout picture provided by the office of Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (R).  © ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS / VARIOUS SOURCES / AFP

Amir Saeid Iravani, the Iranian ambassador to the United Nations, made the remarks in a letter to UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres and the president of the Security Council that was seen by AFP.

President Donald Trump has deployed warships, fighter jets, and other military hardware to the Middle East as he seeks to block Iran from building a nuclear bomb, something Tehran says it is not pursuing.

On Friday, he confirmed to the press that he was still "considering" limited strikes on Iran.

Donald Trump Trump signs order to support production of glyphosate in blow to MAHA movement

Iran's letter cited an earlier social media post by Trump on Wednesday, where he said the US may need to use UK military bases, including one on an Indian Ocean island, "should Iran decide not to make a deal."

"Such a belligerent statement by the President of the United States...signals a real risk of military aggression, the consequences of which would be catastrophic for the region and would constitute a grave threat to international peace and security," Iravani wrote in the letter.

He called for the Security Council – the UN's top decision-making body where Washington has veto power – to "ensure that the United States immediately ceases its unlawful threats of the use of force."

The letter said Iran remains committed "to diplomatic solutions" and "on a reciprocal basis, addressing ambiguities regarding its peaceful nuclear program."

But Iravani warned that if Iran faced military aggression, "all bases, facilities, and assets of the hostile force in the region would constitute legitimate targets in the context of Iran's defensive response."

Ad

Trump has repeatedly threatened military action against Iran, citing a deadly crackdown on anti-government protesters last month, and then more recently over its nuclear program.

On Thursday, Trump said that Iran had at most 15 days to make a deal and again suggested that the US would attack if it failed to do so.

More on Politics: