Instagram pulls a U-turn after major backlash to changes
Menlo Park, California - Instagram is waving the white flag and pausing its rollout of new features following backlash from users and celebrities including Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, and Chrissy Teigen.
Among the new features was an increase in video content being displayed to users, as well as recommendations, which have been blasted for blocking posts from friends.
Earlier in the week, Instagram boss Adam Mosseri posted videos explaining the changes and the pivot to video, while promising to "continue supporting photos."
But on Thursday, a spokesperson for Meta, the parent company of Instagram, said the company wanted to "take the time" to get the changes right.
"Based on our findings and community feedback, we're pausing the full-screen test on Instagram so we can explore other options, and we're temporarily decreasing the number of recommendations you see in your feed so we can improve the quality of your experience," the spokesperson told The Hollywood Reporter.
Mosseri confirmed the two moves in an AMA on Instagram, admitting that "we got ahead of our skis" on recommendations, while also conceding that the full-screen feed was not working. The exec still insisted that video content will continue to grow, no matter what the platform does.
In response to Mosseri's earlier Twitter video, Chrissy Teigen said that users "don't wanna make videos" and are seeing lower engagement for photos.
Kim Kardashian and Kylie Jenner also shared an online "petition" to "Make Instagram Instagram again" on their stories.
Cover photo: AFP