Democrats demand refunds after Supreme Court tosses Trump tariffs: "Cut the check"

Washington DC - Governor JB Pritzker sent Donald Trump an invoice Friday demanding nearly $9 billion in tariff refunds for Illinois families after the US Supreme Court ruled the president's much-touted levies are illegal.

Democratic governors JB Pritzker (l.) and Gavin Newsom are calling on the Trump administration to pay up after the Supreme Court ruled the president's tariff policy illegal.  © Collage: SCOTT OLSON / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / GETTY IMAGES VIA AFP & PATRICK T. FALLON / AFP

Pritzker urged the White House to "cut the check" after justices ruled 6-3 that Trump had exceeded his authority by invoking emergency powers to impose tariffs that reshaped global trade and pushed up prices at home.

"Your tariff taxes wreaked havoc on farmers, enraged our allies and sent grocery prices through the roof," the Democrat wrote, warning further legal action could follow if compensation was not forthcoming.

In the letter, shared with US media, Pritzker demanded about $1,700 for every Illinois household – the amount Yale University experts said the average US household would pay on tariffs last year.

Politicians House Speaker Mike Johnson shoots down request for Jesse Jackson to lie in honor at the Capitol

Pritzker wasn't alone in seeking payback – both political and literal – for widespread consumer woes.

Earlier Friday, California Governor Gavin Newsom said the money Trump's tariffs had raised came from US voters' pockets – and should be refunded.

"Time to pay the piper, Donald. These tariffs were nothing more than an illegal cash grab that drove up prices and hurt working families, so you could wreck longstanding alliances and extort them," he said.

"Every dollar unlawfully taken must be refunded immediately – with interest. Cough up!"

Pritzker and Newsom are widely seen as potential Democratic contenders in the 2028 presidential race.

Ad

Will people be reimbursed for Trump tariff damage?

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has appeared to throw cold water on the prospect of direct compensation to everyday Americans.  © RICHARD RODRIGUEZ / GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA / GETTY IMAGES VIA AFP

Announced with fanfare last April, Trump's tariffs have raised more than $130 billion from importers, with a significant proportion of that extra cost passed on to consumers through higher prices.

Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has expressed skepticism that ordinary Americans will see direct compensation.

The scale of potential repayments is vast. The influential Penn-Wharton Budget Model has estimated that refunds could total $175 billion, though it's unclear who would ultimately receive the money.

Donald Trump Trump signs order to support production of glyphosate in blow to MAHA movement

Trump himself acknowledged that any refund process could take years.

That's a harsh shift for those who may have hoped for a tariff "dividend" check after the 79-year-old Republican repeatedly said last year that millions of Americans would get "a little rebate" because "we have so much money coming in."

In his dissent, Trump-appointed conservative Justice Brett Kavanaugh noted Friday's ruling "says nothing today about whether, and if so how, the government should go about returning the billions of dollars that it has collected from importers."

New York's Democratic governor, Kathy Hochul, called the Trump administration's tariffs "an unlawful backdoor tax on hardworking families, farmers and small businesses, raising prices on everything from groceries to building materials" – though she did not demand refunds.

More on Politicians: