Pet food recall expanded after at least 80 dogs die from toxin
Midwestern Pet Food Inc. announced a recall of certain Sportmix varieties after at least 28 dogs died and eight others became ill after eating them.
Less than two weeks later, Midwestern has expanded the recall to include additional products that contain corn and were made in their Oklahoma manufacturing plant on Tuesday, according to the FDA.
The impacted products have an expiration date on or before July 9, 2022, and have "05" in the date or lot code.
Over 1,000 batches are affected from the recall.
The extension comes after more than 70 four-legged friends have reportedly died, and around 80 others have fallen sick due to high levels of aflatoxin in the food.
Aflatoxin is produced by the Aspergillus flavus mold and it can grow on grains used as ingredients in pet food. When high levels of aflatoxin are consumed, it can lead to illness or even death in pets.
Contact a vet if your dog has eaten the food
Pet owners are now urged to dispose of food from the affected batches, as well as any products of which they don't know the expiration date.
Animals showing signs of sickness should be taken to a vet immediately.
Pets poisoned by aflatoxin may experience symptoms such as sluggishness, jaundice (a yellowish tint in the eyes or gums caused by liver damage), loss of appetite, vomiting or diarrhea, the FDA reported.
Owners with pets that have eaten the affected food are advised to contact a veterinarian, even if their dog doesn't display any symptoms, as it can cause long-term liver damage.
Cover photo: Montage: 123rf/Sergey Nivens & 123RF/Jaromír Chalabala