US condemns North Korean ballistic missile launch
Washington DC - The United States has condemned North Korea for its Friday test of a long-range ballistic missile.
"This launch is a brazen violation of multiple UN Security Council resolutions and needlessly raises tensions and risks destabilizing the security situation in the region," US National Security Council (NSC) spokesperson Adrienne Watson said in a statement.
"This action demonstrates that [North Korea] continues to prioritize its unlawful weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missile programs over the well-being of its people," Watson said.
"The door has not closed on diplomacy, but Pyongyang must immediately cease its destabilizing actions and instead choose diplomatic engagement. The United States will take all necessary measures to ensure the security of the American homeland and Republic of Korea and Japanese allies."
Watson said that US President Joe Biden had been briefed on the situation and that Vice President Kamala Harris was "coordinating with our allies and partners in the region" while at the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit in Bangkok.
North Korea on Friday morning fired what the South Korean military believes to be an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) towards the Sea of Japan, also known as the East Sea.
Missiles with the capability to travel more than 3,100 miles are counted as ICBMs. UN resolutions prohibit North Korea from testing ballistic missiles of any range, some of which are capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
Cover photo: REUTERS