AOC and other lawmakers arrested outside Supreme Court during protest for abortion rights
Washington DC - Democratic representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and at least 15 other lawmakers were arrested outside the Supreme Court building on Tuesday.
According to a tweet from the US Capitol Police, demonstrators were breaking the law by blocking traffic on First Street. After three warnings, law enforcement began making arrests.
Videos were quickly shared on social media of lawmakers such as Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) and Ilhan Omar being arrested.
In one video, AOC can be seen raising a fist in the air as cops escort her away.
The demonstration was for abortion rights, and comes almost a month after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade.
New York Representative Carolyn Maloney, who was also arrested, said in a statement, "There is no democracy if women do not have control over their own bodies and decisions about their own health, including reproductive care."
Other representatives reportedly arrested include:
- Alma Adams of North Carolina
- Cori Bush of Missouri
- Katherine Clark of Massachusetts
- Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts
- Bonnie Watson Coleman of New Jersey
- Veronica Escobar of Texas
- Sara Jacobs of California
- Barbara Lee of California
- Jackie Speier of California
- Andy Levin of Michigan
- Rashida Tlaib of Michigan
- Jan Schakowsky of Illinois
- Nydia Velazquez of New York
Cover photo: REUTERS